Wednesday, March 18, 2009

To Tweet or Not To Tweet?

By now, everyone knows about Twitter. It is taking over pop culture, with it's membership ranging from "the kid next door" to Shaquille O'Neal. Even Diddy used it to inform the world of his tantric sex sessions. Even the extremely popular social networking website Facebook has redesigned to give it a more Twitter-esque feel (Bad move Facebook).

Add Milwaukee Bucks forward Charlie Villanueva (better known in the Twitterverse as @CV31) to the list of famous Twitter users. CV sent this "tweet" out during halftime of the recent Bucks/Celtics match-up:

In da locker room, snuck to post my twitt. We're playing the Celtics, tie ball game at da half. Coach wants more toughness. I gotta step up.
10:17 AM Mar 15th from TwitterBerry


Seems innocent enough. I'd call 15 points in the 2nd half against the Boston Celtics in route to a victory stepping it up. Of course with a coach like Scott Skiles, it is unlikely Villanueva will do it again. Though there was no formal action taken against CV, Skiles was quoted in the AP saying, "My personal opinion is, it doesn't have any place in the locker room". That's a relatively mild response from Skiles, this is the same guy that banned headbands as the coach of Chicago.

I only bring this up because I find Twitter slightly strange. It's essentially a bunch of random updates about peoples lives, mixed with what I'd call public text messaging. It's weird that we have gotten to a point where an NBA player would sneak to post an update during an actual game, but that's the nature of Twitter. Knowing exactly what someone is thinking at random points during the day. I can't lie, I enjoy following some celebs on Twitter. Phonte' of Little Brother is hilarious. I don't know where this phenomenon will end up going, but I do know someone needs to get Shaq a bigger keyboard.

Shaq's fingers + Blackberry keys = Spell Check's worst nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment